Afrenje is a great substitute for some of Ethiopia’s well known spicy spice blends such as Berbere and Mitmita, especially for people with more delicate palates. With Afrenje, anyone can savor traditional Ethiopian flavors without having to tolerate too much heat.
Afrenje tastes fantastic with recipes that have grilled or raw meat.
Ingredients Required to Make Afrenje
- 165 grams of Chili Pepper Seeds
- 30 grams of Korerima (Ethiopian Cardamom)
- 20 grams of Netch Azmud (Ethiopian Wild Caraway Seeds)
- 50 grams of Salt
How to Make Afrenje (Step-by-Step Tutorial)
- Get your chili pepper seeds and wash them in cold water, and dry them.
- When the seeds are completely dry, mix them with the Korrorima, Netch Azmud, and salt.
- Use a suitable grinder to grind the mixture, then sieve the mix for consistency.
- Finally, get a clean spice bottle to place your Afrenje spice blend to store for long term use.
Equipment Recommendations to Make Afrenje
Affiliate Disclaimer: As an affiliate, we get commissions for purchases made through links on this website from Amazon and other third parties.