Alicha Doro Wot is the gentler variation of the most popular Ethiopian dish, the Doro Wot, where the spicy berbere spice is swapped out for a mellow turmeric sauce that is infused with ginger and garlic.
Ethiopian cuisine is known for its variety of savory and flavorful dishes, and Alicha Doro Wot is no exception. This delicious stew has been around for centuries and has become an important part of culture and cuisine both inside and outside of Ethiopia.
Blending the flavors of ginger, garlic, turmeric, and other spices, this authentically Ethiopian chicken stew is sure to tantalize your taste buds!
Ingredients Required to Make Alicha Doro Wot
- 3 pounds of chicken leg and thigh meat
- 4 eggs (hard-boiled)
- 4 yellow onions (finely chopped)
- 1 tbsp ginger (finely chopped)
- 3 tbsp garlic (finely minced)
- ¼ cup of Niter Kibbeh
- ¼ tsp of Turmeric
- 1 tsp of Matafecha
- 1 tsp of Alicha Kimem (Afrenje)
- ½ cup of Tej (Ethiopian honey wine)
- 3 cups of water
- 1 tsp of salt
- 1 lemon
How to Make Alicha Doro Wot (Step-by-Step Tutorial)
- Start by removing the skin and fat from the legs and thighs of the chicken meat.
- Wash the chicken, and rub it with salt and lemon. Then let it for about 15 min.
- Rinse, then drain the chicken and let it dry on a strainer to develop a protective skin.
- Next, cook the eggs and pierce them with a fork to let the flavor permeate.
- Cook the onions in a large iron or enamel stewpot over medium heat for about 5 minutes, or until transparent, adding water as necessary.
- Add the ginger, then the Niter Kibbeh, and continue to sauté for around 10 min.
- Add in the garlic and simmer for 5 more min; adding water as required to prevent burning.
- Carefully add the chicken to the sauce and stir gently. Chicken should be thoroughly covered on both sides with sauce; add additional water if necessary. Then, let it simmer for 10 min, with the heat reduced and the lid on.
- Add the turmeric, Matafecha, Alicha Kimem, and Tej. Raise the heat and bring to a boil. Stirring occasionally, cook quickly for about 15 min. with the lid off.
- Reduce heat and simmer until sauce is thick and chicken is cooked thoroughly for approximately 10 min.
- Finally, remove from heat and let it cool for about 15 min. and serve along with Injera.
Equipment Recommendations to Make Alicha Doro Wot
Affiliate Disclaimer: As an affiliate, we get commissions for purchases made through links on this website from Amazon and other third parties.