Alicha Siga Wot, or Ethiopian Yellow Beef Stew, is one of the most popular dishes with a unique blend of spices, flavors, and cooking techniques that have been passed down over generations to be enjoyed by Ethiopians and non-Ethiopians alike.
Not only is this dish incredibly tasty, but it’s also simple to make! If you’ve never tried Alicha Siga Wot before, you owe it to yourself to give this recipe a try!
Ingredients Required to Make Alicha Siga Wot
- 2 pounds of beef (cut into small cubes)
- 3 yellow onions (finely minced)
- 4 cups water
- 1 tablespoon of oil
- 3 tablespoons of ginger (finely minced)
- 3 tablespoons of garlic (finely minced)
- ¼ tsp. Turmeric
- 1 tsp. of Korerima (Black Cardamom)
- 1 tsp. of black pepper
- ¼ cup of Niter Kibbeh
- salt (to taste)
How to Make Alicha Siga Wot (Step-by-Step Tutorial)
- Rinse the pieces of beef meat with hot water, drain the water, and set aside.
- Cook the onions over medium heat in a large iron or enamel stewpot with the lid closed for 5 min.
- Add some water and continue cooking the onions for 5 more min.
- Once the water has evaporated and the onions turn translucent, add some water and continue cooking for another 5 min. Don’t let the onions get burnt.
- Add the oil and continue cooking for 2 min. before adding the ginger, then continue cooking for 2 more min. Then add the turmeric, garlic, black pepper, and Korerima.
- Continue to add hot water as necessary. The sauce ought to resemble soup in consistency.
- Add a quarter of a cup of Niter Kibbeh and let it melt over the sauce as you continue to cook for 5 more min.
- Now, add the beef cubes slowly and continue cooking for 15 min. with lid closed, stirring now and then. At this point, the sauce should not be watery but thick.
- Lower the heat to medium and add some salt, and continue cooking for 2 min. before adding the Niter Kibbeh. Then let the stew simmer for about 5 min.
- Finally, turn off the heat, and serve along with Injera.
Equipment Recommendations to Make Alicha Siga Wot
Affiliate Disclaimer: As an affiliate, we get commissions for purchases made through links on this website from Amazon and other third parties.