Here are some easy-to-follow directions for a tasty meat-based Ethiopian meal – Alicha Wot, also known as Yebeg Alicha. It is a great choice for people that find berbere upsetting to their stomachs.
Ingredients Required to Make Alicha Wot
- 2 lbs chopped lamb ribs and meat
- ¼ cup Niter Kibbeh (Ethiopian clarified butter)
- 2 cups thinly chopped white onions
- 1 tbsp garlic
- 1 tbsp ginger root juice
- 1 tbsp Korerima (false cardamom)
- ¼ tbsp turmeric
- 2 seeded and sliced chili peppers
- 6 cups water
- 1 tbsp salt
How to Make Alicha Wot (Step-by-Step Tutorial)
- Chop the ribs and meat into smaller pieces, then clean them with cold water.
- Boil some water in a large pot and add the pieces of chopped ribs and meat. Then cook them for 10 minutes and strain.
- Cook the onion with two cups of water on medium heat – stir continuously until the onion is tender while adding the water gradually for 10-15 minutes.
- Add the niter kibbeh, garlic, and ginger-root juice, then cook for five minutes.
- Add the chopped ribs and meat and stir for 5 min. Then add 4 cups of water and turmeric, cover, and cook for 30 min.
- Add Korerima and salt, and cook to simmer. In the end, add the hot peppers and remove from heat.
Equipment Recommendations to Make Alicha Wot
Affiliate Disclaimer: As an affiliate, we get commissions for purchases made through links on this website from Amazon and other third parties.