Home Recipes Restaurants Food Guides Injera Makers Buyer Guides Kitchen Essentials
Doro Wot (Ethiopian Chicken Stew) Recipe
Doro Wot is an iconic Ethiopian dish that is well known for its savory flavor and aromatic spices. It has played a significant role in the country’s culinary history for centuries. As an essential part of Ethiopian culture, this traditional stew is enjoyed at special occasions and gatherings. Its rich composition of ingredients and deep flavor are also widely appreciated around the world.
Doro Wot is one of the most popular dishes in Ethiopia and can be found in most traditional Ethiopian restaurants throughout the country. Additionally, it is becoming increasingly popular in other parts of the world due to its delicious flavor and its ability to be adapted to various diets and palates.
Doro Wot is a spicy stew made with chicken, berbere, niter kibbeh, onions, garlic, ginger and other flavorful ingredients. The dish is traditionally served over injera, a spongy flatbread made from teff flour.
Ingredients Required to Make Doro Wot
- 7 lbs skinned and cleaned chicken thighs and drumsticks
- 3 pre-boiled eggs
- 8 finely chopped onions
- 2 cups vegetable oil
- 2 cups water
- 5 tsp garlic powder
- 2 tsp ginger powder
- ½ cup berbere
- 2 tsp korerima
- ¼ cup paprika
- 2 tsp wot kimem (mekelesha)
- 2 tsp salt
How to Make Doro Wot (Step-by-Step Tutorial)
- Begin by adding the garlic powder, ginger powder, onions, and vegetable oil to a large-sized pot; and let the mix simmer at low heat.
- Add paprika and berbere and continue to simmer at the same low heat for up to 20 min. Stir every now and then. Avoid the mix from sticking by adding a little water.
- Add the chicken thighs and drumsticks and simmer some more while also slowly adding the remainder of the water.
- Add the pre-boiled eggs, and finish simmering by adding salt, korerima, and wot kimem (mekelesha).
- Serve your Doro Wot hot.
Equipment Recommendations to Make Doro Wot
Affiliate Disclaimer: As an affiliate, we get commissions for purchases made through links on this website from Amazon and other third parties.