Ethiopian Hummus is quite a tasty and appetizing paste that can be served along with any Ethiopian dish. It is mainly made from made from Fava Beans and Sunflower seeds, both of which come with several health benefits.
Fava Beans are green legumes that come in pods. They have a slightly sweet, earthy flavor and are eaten by people all over the world, including Ethiopia. Fava beans are also rich in protein, fiber, vitamins, and minerals. They are believed to provide remarkable health benefits, including enhanced immunity and motor function.
On the other hand, sunflower seeds are a great source of heart-healthy fats, as well as a number of vitamins and minerals that may help lessen your chance of developing common health issues such as heart disease and type 2 diabetes.
Here is a simple recipe that you can follow to make Ethiopian Hummus at home.
Ingredients Required to Make Ethiopian Hummus
- 3 cups of Bakela (dried fava beans)
- 1 cup of Suf (Ethiopian sunflower seeds)
- 2 tbsp of olive oil
- 5 cups of water
- 4 tbsp lemon juice
- 4 cloves of crushed garlic
- 0.5 tsp of Salt
How to Make Ethiopian Hummus (Step-by-Step Tutorial)
- Start by washing the Suf seeds clean using cold water. Then transfer into cooking pot and boil for about 15 min. until the Suf seeds get soft.
- Strain the Suf seeds and transfer them into a blender, add five cups of cold water and grind them.
- Again, strain the Suf seed juice and transfer into a cooking pot.
- Next, wash the Bakela and add them to your Suf juice, and cook them together for about 30 min.
- Transfer the Bakela into the blender along with oil, lemon juice, garlic, salt, as well as 2 ice cubes, and blend them all together for about 5 min. until everything is well mixed and smooth.
- Finally, transfer your Ethiopian Hummus into a clean serving bowl and enjoy. Or, keep in the refrigerator for later use.
Equipment Recommendations to Make Ethiopian Hummus
Affiliate Disclaimer: As an affiliate, we get commissions for purchases made through links on this website from Amazon and other third parties.