Affiliate Disclaimer: As an affiliate, we get commissions for purchases made through links on this website from Amazon and other third parties.
Firfir is a traditional Ethiopian dish that has been around for centuries. It’s a simple, yet flavorful dish made with shredded pieces of Injera (a traditional Ethiopian flatbread) mixed with spiced Berbere sauce.
Firfir can be made with either beef, lamb, or vegetables to create a hearty meal full of flavor. The combination of spices and flavors, along with its versatility and convenience, have made it a favorite among Ethiopians. It can be eaten as a main dish on its own, as breakfast, snack or as a side dish along with other dishes.
Ingredients Required to Make Firfir
- 3½ injera
- 2 tomatoes, chopped
- 3 oz tomato paste
- 2 chopped onions
- 1½ tbsp berbere
- ½ cup water
- 2 tsp of ginger, minced
- 4 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 de-seeded & thinly cut jalapeño pepper
- ¼ cup canola oil
- 1 tbsp salt
Equipment Required to Make Firfir
- Chopping Board & Kitchen Knife Set (View Recommendation)
- Wooden Nonstick Kitchen Utensil Set (View Recommendation)
- Countertop Double Cast Iron Burner (View Recommendation)
- Enamel Pot (View Recommendation)
How to Make Firfir (Step-by-Step Tutorial)
- Start by cooking the chopped onions for some time – while stirring – until they begin softening and turning translucent.
- Add the canola oil, and continue cooking for a bit until the oil gets hot. Then add the berbere and continue to stir for a few more minutes.
- Add the tomato paste to the mix and continue cooking for a while. Then lower the heat to low-medium heat and add the minced ginger and garlic, chopped tomatoes, and some salt, and continue cooking until the tomatoes are cooked well.
- Add water and bring to simmer so that it looks like a thick tomato soup. Then shred the injera into smaller pieces and start adding it to the mix.
- Continue cooking and stirring gently so that the injera is soaked through and absorbs all of the moisture.
- Finally, transfer the Firfir to a serving plate and add the jalapeño peppers on top.