Home Recipes Restaurants Food Guides Injera Makers Buyer Guides Kitchen Essentials
Genfo (Ethiopian Porridge) Recipe
Genfo is one of Ethiopia’s most iconic dishes and has been enjoyed for centuries by people of all ages throughout Ethiopia. It is a thick, doughy porridge made from either wheat, barley, or maize flour and served, and enriched with berbere and niter kibbeh.
Ingredients Required to Make Genfo
- 1 cup of wheat flour
- 3 tbsp niter kibbeh (Ethiopian clarified butter)
- 1 tbsp berbere
- ½ tsp cardamom
- 2 cups water
How to Make Genfo (Step-by-Step Tutorial)
- Start by adding the cardamom to the flour and mix.
- Boil the water then start adding the flour mix slowly while reducing the heat, stirring thoroghly so as to avoid any lumps from forming and until the mix moistenes well enough.
- Then transfer the Genfo to a mid-sized bowl, and create a hole right in the middle.
- Melt the Niter Kibbeh, and mix with the berbere, then pour the mix into the hole you created in the middle of the Genfo.
- Finally, pour the spicy liquid into the hole you’ve hollowed out in the Genfo and serve while still hot.
Equipment Recommendations to Make Genfo
Affiliate Disclaimer: As an affiliate, we get commissions for purchases made through links on this website from Amazon and other third parties.