Home Recipes Restaurants Food Guides Injera Makers Buyer Guides Kitchen Essentials
Gomen (Ethiopian Collard Green Salad) Recipe
Gomen is a traditional Ethiopian dish made of collard greens and spices. It is one of the most common dishes served in the country and is often enjoyed as an accompaniment to other Ethiopian dishes. Gomen is easy to make and can be eaten alone or as part of a larger meal. It’s a vibrant salad that is full of flavor and nutrition, making it an ideal meal for any time of day.
This easy-to-make recipe is simple yet flavorful enough to satisfy even the pickiest of eaters. Gomen is simple to make and can be enjoyed as part of any meal or on its own. It’s also suitable for vegetarians and vegans.
Ingredients Required to Make Gomen
- 2 bunches of collard greens
- 1 chopped onion
- 3 tsp minced garlic
- 2 tsp minced ginger
- 2 de-seeded and chopped jalapeño peppers
- 1 tbsp niter kibbeh (Ethiopian clarified butter)
- 3 tbsp canola oil
- 1 tsp salt
How to Make Gomen (Step-by-Step Tutorial)
- Pull off the leaves of the collard greens and discard the stems.
- Tear the leaves into medium-sized pieces and wash them well under cold water.
- Bring a large stockpot of salted water to boil and add the collard greens.
- Cook for about 10-15 minutes. The collard greens should change color and soften.
- Drain in a large colander and rinse with cold water.
- Squeeze out all of the excess moisture and chop it into small pieces, then set it aside.
- Cook the onions on medium heat until they start to soften and turn translucent about seven minutes.
- Add the niter kibbeh and cook for several minutes.
- Then add the garlic, ginger, and jalapeños and sauté for several more minutes.
- Add the chopped greens and stir well, ensuring that the greens are thoroughly mixed in with the other ingredients.
- Add salt and cook on medium-low until the greens have soaked in the flavor.
Equipment Recommendations to Make Gomen
Affiliate Disclaimer: As an affiliate, we get commissions for purchases made through links on this website from Amazon and other third parties.