Home Recipes Restaurants Food Guides Injera Makers Buyer Guides Kitchen Essentials
Kategna is a traditional Ethiopian dish that has been around for centuries by generations of Ethiopians. It is made of injera (a spongy, sourdough flatbread) topped with berbere and niter kibbeh, giving is the perfect blend of sweet, sour and spicy flavors.
Kategna is a great way to enjoy the flavors of Ethiopia and its rich culture in a single dish. From its humble beginnings in traditional Ethiopian cuisine, it has now become a worldwide favorite, enjoyed both at home and in restaurants.
Ingredients Required to Make Kategna
- 1 injera
- ¾ tbsp berbere
- 2 tbsp niter kibbeh (Ethiopian clarified butter)
How to Make Kategna (Step-by-Step Tutorial)
- Start by slicing the injera into pieces – just like you would a pizza.
- Add the pieces onto a pan or skillet and heat them until they get a bit crispy. Turn them over to heat on both sides. When they’re ready, remove them from heat and transfer them onto a large-enough plate.
- Next, place the Niter Kibbeh into your microwave and melt it, and mix it with the berbere. Mix them well.
- Finally, spread the spicy mix on top of each piece of injera using your fingers or a pastry brush.
Equipment Recommendations to Make Kategna
Affiliate Disclaimer: As an affiliate, we get commissions for purchases made through links on this website from Amazon and other third parties.