Lentil Vegetable Soup is a great comfort food you can enjoy at any time. It is especially popular during the flu seasons in Ethiopia. And, it is also vegan/ vegetarian friendly. Here is a simple recipe that you can follow to make Lentil Vegetable Soup at home.
Ingredients Required to Make Lentil Vegetable Soup
- 1 cup of lentils
- 0.5 of finely chopped onions
- 1 seeded and diced tomato
- 2 peeled and diced carrots
- 2 trimmed and diced stalks of celery
- 3 tbsp of olive oil
- 1 tsp of garlic powder
- 1 tsp of ginger juice
- 4 cups of vegetable broth
- 0.5 tsp of white pepper
- 0.5 tsp of Berbere
- 4 cups of water
- 0.25 tsp of black pepper
- 0.25 tsp of Salt
How to Make Lentil Vegetable Soup (Step-by-Step Tutorial)
- Start by cooking the onion, celery, and carrots in oil, and adding 0.5 cups of water gradually, for about 10 min.
- Then add the tomatoes and Berbere, stir the mix for about 5 min., add 3 more cups of water, and let it boil.
- Next, clean the lentils using cold water and add them to the now boiling mix, along with 2 cups of vegetable broth, white pepper, and ginger juice.
- Reduce the heat to mid temperature and let the mix cook for about 40 min. until the lentils get soft.
- Then purée the mix with a cooking stick. Alternatively, you can transfer it into a food processor, and transfer them back when finished.
- Add the remaining vegetable broth or water as necessary, then stir the mix for 10 min. at low heat.
- Finally, add the black pepper and salt, stir them in, and remove your soup from heat.
- Add some basil, cheese, or fresh parsley as a garnish and serve.
Equipment Recommendations to Make Lentil Vegetable Soup
Affiliate Disclaimer: As an affiliate, we get commissions for purchases made through links on this website from Amazon and other third parties.