Home Recipes Restaurants Food Guides Injera Makers Buyer Guides Kitchen Essentials
Misir Kik Wot (Ethiopian Red Lentil Stew) Recipe
Misir Kik Wot, which is Ethiopian red lentil stew, is one of the most popular vegan/vegetarian dishes in Ethiopian cuisine – even though some versions of the dish add meat. It is a tasty lentil dish enriched with the flavor of Berbere. Learn how to make Misir Kik Wot by using this simple recipe, where you’ll find all of the ingredients you need to make this traditional Ethiopian dish along with all the necessary directions.
Ingredients Required to Make Misir Kik Wot
- 1½ cups red lentils
- 1 large finely chopped onion
- 2 cloves minced garlic
- 2 tbsp berbere
- 2 tbsp niter kibbeh (Ethiopian clarified butter)
- 2 cups water
- 1 tsp sweet paprika
How to Make Misir Kik Wot (Step-by-Step Tutorial)
- Begin by cooking the lentils and water in a mid-sized pot for approx. 30 minutes.
- Next, sauté the chopped onion with some olive oil added using a large-enough pan or skillet – until the color of the onion starts to clear or get translucent.
- Then add the minced garlic and sauté the mix some more.
- Add berbere and a little bit more water so as to keep the Wot from sticking.
Then add the lentils you cooked before, and cook them all together at low heat for about 30 more minutes, until you see the lentils disintegrate.
- Finally, add the sweet paprika to give the Misir Wot its signature reddish color.
Equipment Recommendations to Make Misir Kik Wot
Affiliate Disclaimer: As an affiliate, we get commissions for purchases made through links on this website from Amazon and other third parties.