Engotcha RecipeCourse: Bread, SnackCuisine: EthiopianDifficulty: Intermediate
This is a traditional dish popular among Ethiopian Jews. Learn how to make Engotcha by using this simple recipe. Here you will find all the ingredients you need to make this traditional Ethiopian dish with all the necessary directions.
2 cups wheat flour
1 tbsp sugar
1 packet yeast
¾ cup water
- Begin by soaking the sugar and yeast in a quarter cup of warm water for about 15 minutes.
- In a separate small-sized bowl, add half a cup of water and mix the egg.
- Add the wheat flour to a mid-sized bowl and add the egg-water mix, and mix them together thoroughly until the dough becomes clumpy and thick.
- Add the yeast mix to the dough and start kneading the dough thoroughly again.
- Cover the kneaded dough with a clean cloth and let it sit for an hour or so until it rises.
- Pre-heat your oven to 300°, then tear about 5 pieces from the dough. These should be enough to make 5 average-sized Engochas, which are about 6 – 7 inches wide each.
- Place the 5 pieces of dough on a greased oven platter and back them in the oven for approximately 30 min. In the end, the Engocha will have a nice golden color.
- When ready, serve with honey for dipping.