Kolo RecipeCourse: SnackCuisine: EthiopianDifficulty: Beginner
Ethiopians accross the country often enjoy kolo as a snack – after meals, along with coffee or some bear. Use this recipe to make yourself some Kolo to munch on as a snack at any time of the day.
1 cup barley kernels
¼ cup dried chickpeas
¼ cup peanuts
½ tsp berbere
¼ tsp salt
- Begin by roasting your barley, chickpeas, and peanuts on a pan until they start crackling. Stir them continuously so that they are all roasted uniformly on all sides.
- Right before they’re roasted thoroughly, sprinkle the berbere and some salt, and stir some more.
- Finally, remove the Kolo and transfer it to a serving bowl. Kolo is best served hot.
- You can also roast the barley, chickpeas, and peanuts separately if you prefer. You can munch on them separately as well.
- The berbere and salt are optional. Feel free to leave them out or add more as you prefer.