Tikil Gomen is a unique vegetable dish found in the cuisine of Ethiopia. This traditional dish, which is also known as “Ethiopian Cabbage Salad”, is packed with flavor and nutrition. It is a combination of potatoes, carrots, and cabbage that is cooked with spices to develop a complex and delicious taste.
Tikil Gomen (Ethiopian Cabbage Salad) RecipeCourse: Side Dish, Vegetarian, VeganCuisine: EthiopianDifficulty: Intermediate
Tikil Gomen is one of the most popular, vegetarian dishes in Ethiopia. It’s extremely easy to make and adjust depending on the individual portions that you prefer. Tikil Gomen is also a good side dish to go with other Ethiopian wot dishes, such as Misir Wot and Shiro Wot.
⅔ diced and rinsed head cabbage
1 cup chopped carrots
½ thinly sliced onion
1 tsp minced garlic
¼ tsp turmeric powder
1 pinch of black pepper powder
3 tbsp vegetable oil
1 tsp salt
2 tbsp water
- Start by adding vegetable oil to a mid-sized pot and start cooking.
- Next, add the onions and cook them for some 5 min. until they get translucent.
- Then, add in the carrots, turmeric, black pepper, garlic, and, salt, and gently stir the mix for 5 – 10 more minutes.
- Finally, add the cabbages and gently mix them well with the others. Then, cover the pot, reduce the heat to medium-low and continue cooking for some 20 minutes until the cabbages get tender.
- In the end, if you think your Tikil Gomen looks dry, add some water to it.