Zilzil Tibs is a delicious and popular dish originating from Ethiopia, known for its spicy and savory ingredients. It is traditionally prepared with strips of beef or lamb marinated in spices, onions, garlic, and other ingredients, served with injera, an Ethiopian flatbread. It’s then sautéed in a pan with oil until it’s cooked to perfection.
The flavors in this dish are complex and unique, making it an excellent choice for anyone looking to experience a new type of cuisine. Zilzil Tibs has grown in popularity over the years and can now be found on menus of Ethiopian restaurants across the world.
Zilzil Tibs RecipeCourse: Main Dish, For Meat LoversCuisine: EthiopianDifficulty: Intermediate
Learn how to make an authentic Ethiopian dish by using our Zilzil Tibs Recipe. Here you will find all the ingredients you will need to make this traditional Ethiopian dish with all the necessary directions.
1 lb beef tenderloin
1 green bell pepper, chopped into squares
4 tbsp niter kibbeh (Ethiopian clarified butter)
3 tbsp berbere (Ethiopian seasoning)
1 red onion, finely diced
¼ cup chicken broth
2 tbsp red wine
¼ tsp black pepper powder
1 tsp salt
- Start by cutting your beef tenderloin into cubes of approx. half-inch, and place them in a mid-sized bowl that is nonreactive.
- In a separate bowl, put the berbere and red wine with 2 tbsp niter kibbeh and mix them thoroughly until the blend changes to paste.
- Use half of the paste and coat the beef with it. keep the remaining paste aside for later use. Then let the beef marinate for about 30 min. at room temp.
- Next, add 1 tbsp. niter kibbeh over medium-high heat in a mid-sized skillet. Then add the beef and cook it for about 2 minutes – while stirring – until it loses its reddish color.
- When the beef is done cooking, transfer it to a plate, and reduce the heat to medium. Then add the green bell peppers, and cook – while stirring – for about 5 min. until the peppers start to wilt.
- When the peppers are done cooking, transfer them to the same plate you placed the beef on.
- Next, add another tbsp. niter kibbeh and heat. Then add the onions and cook them – while stirring – for about 10 min. until they soften.
- Then add the remaining paste you previously kept aside along with the chicken broth. Then sprinkle the black pepper and salt in the mix and cook – while stirring – for about a minute.
- Finally, add the beef and peppers you kept on a plate as well, and cook together for about 2 min.