Home Recipes Restaurants Food Guides Injera Makers Buyer Guides Kitchen Essentials
Shiro Wot (Ethiopian Chickpea Stew) Recipe
Ethiopian cuisine is an incredibly diverse and flavorful combination of cultures, with each region offering its own unique dishes. One of the most beloved dishes in Ethiopia is Shiro, a chickpea stew made with spices, onions, garlic, peppers, and other seasonal ingredients. Rich in flavor and texture, Shiro is one of the most popular and versatile Ethiopian dishes and can be served both as a main dish or a side dish. This hearty dish has become a staple for many Ethiopians all over the world.
Ingredients Required to Make Shiro Wot
- 3 cups Shiro mitten
- 10 cups water
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 1 tbsp berbere
- 1 tbsp niter kibbeh
- 3 large finely chopped onion
- 5 tsp garlic powder
- 2 tsp salt
How to Make Shiro Wot (Step-by-Step Tutorial)
- Begin by simmering the garlic, onions, and vegetable oil in a mid-sized pot.
- Next, add berbere to the mix and continue simmering for around 10 minutes while also adding a small amount of water to keep the mix from sticking.
- Add the remainder of the water; then add the Shiro mitten flour slowly (in small portions) while stirring continuously.
- Then continue cooking for around 25 minutes until the Shiro becomes thicker but also a bit runny.
- Finally, add niter kibbeh and stir for a bit, then remove from heat. Serve your Shiro hot with injera and enjoy!
Equipment Recommendations to Make Shiro Wot
Affiliate Disclaimer: As an affiliate, we get commissions for purchases made through links on this website from Amazon and other third parties.