Home Recipes Restaurants Food Guides Injera Makers Buyer Guides Kitchen Essentials
Spiced Bunna (Ethiopian Coffee) Recipe
Coffee is referred to as “Bunna” in Amharic, and if you enjoy drinking it, you are probably already aware that Ethiopia is where coffee first originated. Ethiopian coffee, Bunna is renowned for its flavor, satisfaction, and aroma around the world.
Ethiopians hold Bunna in high regard and use it frequently in social interactions. Typically, people drink coffee in the morning, after lunch, and in the afternoon. Most households in Ethiopia have an unbreakable ritual surrounding coffee consumption.
Bunna is also crucial to the Ethiopian economy as is a significant source of foreign currency and an income for about 15% of the population.
Learn more about the origins of Coffee here.
You can also learn more about the Ethiopian Coffee Ceremony here.
Ingredients Required to Make Spiced Bunna
- 1 cup of Ethiopian coffee beans
- 1 teaspoon of whole cloves
- 0.25 teaspoon of cinnamon
- 7 cups of water
How to Make Spiced Bunna (Step-by-Step Tutorial)
- In a heated frying pan, roast your choice of Ethiopian coffee beans until they are golden brown.
- Add the roasted coffee beans into a coffee grinder.
- Next grind the cinnamon and cloves into a fine powder.
- Then bring the water to a boil before adding the ground coffee, as well as cinnamon and cloves. Then continue boiling for about 5 min.
- Serve your spiced coffee hot, preferably using Sini, which are tiny Ethiopian coffee cups.
Equipment Recommendations to Make Spiced Bunna
Affiliate Disclaimer: As an affiliate, we get commissions for purchases made through links on this website from Amazon and other third parties.