Affiliate Disclaimer: As an affiliate, we get commissions for purchases made through links on this website from Amazon and other third parties.
Alicha Kik Wot is a delicious and wholesome Ethiopian dish that is traditionally made with Ater Kik (yellow split peas), onions, garlic, ginger root, and turmeric. It is an essential part of Ethiopian cuisine and it’s featured prominently in the popular Ethiopian mixed-plater vegetarian dish known as Beyaynetu.
This recipe for Alicha Kik Wot is full of flavor and simple to make with readily available ingredients. It’s a great way to explore the vibrant flavors of Ethiopia without spending too much time in the kitchen.
Moreover, even though it is a vegetarian dish, Alicha Kik Wot provides plenty of protein and nutrition. So, follow this recipe, make yourself a delicious Alicha Kik Wot, and enjoy!
Ingredients Required to Make YeAter Alicha Kik Wot
- 1 cup split peas
- 1 cup onion (minced)
- 1 tbsp ginger (minced)
- 1 tbsp garlic (minced)
- 1 tsp Alicha Kimem (Afrenje)
- 1 tsp Netch Azmud (Caraway Seed)
- 1 tsp of Turmeric
- ½ cup oil
- 3 cups water
- Salt (to taste)
Equipment Required to Make YeAter Alicha Kik Wot
- Mixing Bowls Set with TPR Lids (View Recommendation)
- Mesh Strainer Set (View Recommendation)
- Countertop Double Cast Iron Burner (View Recommendation)
- 15-Piece Non-Stick Cookware Set (View Recommendation)
How to Make YeAter Alicha Kik Wot (Step-by-Step Tutorial)
- Thoroughly wash the split peas using hot water until they’re clean enough that the water they are placed is clear.
- Soak the split peas in water until they are fully rehydrated. Then strain the remaining water for approx. 20 min.
- Cook the onions for 10 min. in water over medium heat until the onions are thoroughly cooked and transparent.
- Add some water, then the minced ginger, and stir for about 3 min. until the mixture reaches a paste-like in texture.
- Add the minced garlic and the oil, and mix well.
- Pour in some water now and again as the sauce starts to thicken while stirring gently.
- Now, add the split peas slowly along with some water, making sure the split peas are not burnt. Then stir the mix for 2 min.
- Pour in more water till the split peas are submerged completely, and continue stirring for approx. 8 min. when the split peas become soft.
- Then add the Tumeric and Alicha Kimem and continue cooking for 1 min. till the mixture becomes fragrant.
- Lower the heat and simmer the mixture for about 5 min. and add the Netch Azmud while stirring.
- Finally, turn the heat off, add some salt, and serve your Alicha Kik Wot along with Injera.