Home Recipes Restaurants Food Guides Injera Makers Buyer Guides Kitchen Essentials
YeBeg Wot (Ethiopian Lamb Stew) Recipe
YeBeg Wot is a popular Ethiopian lamb stew that is usually prepared during holidays similar to Doro Wat (Ethiopian chicken stew). It is also commonly served during ceremonies such as weddings or other important events.
Traditionally, farmers in Ethiopia fatten their lambs with a high-calorie diet for many weeks ahead of the holidays and special occasions. This results in fatty, soft meat that is then used to prepare YeBeg Wot along with onions, garlic, tomatoes, Niter Kibbeh, and other spices.
Hence, in addition to its unique flavor, YeBeg Wot has a lot of protein, carbohydrates, and antioxidants. It is also not too difficult to make at home with just a few ingredients.
Ingredients Required to Make YeBeg Wot
- 2 pounds of lamb meat (cut into small bite-size pieces)
- 2 onions (finely chopped)
- 1 tbsp garlic (finely minced)
- ¼ cup of Niter Kibbeh
- 4 cups water
- 1 tsp Korerima (ground)
- 1 tsp black pepper (ground)
- ½ cup Berbere
How to Make YeBeg Wot (Step-by-Step Tutorial)
- Rinse the small pieces of lamb meat using warm water and dry.
- Cook the onions using a large iron or enamel stewpot over medium heat with the lid closed for about 15 min, keeping the onions moist by adding warm water as necessary.
- When the water evaporates and the onions are translucent, add some of the Niter Kibbeh and let the onions roast until they darken and caramelize, for about 3 min. Don’t let them burn.
- Add the rest of the Niter Kibbeh, raise the heat, and continue roasting the onions for 2 min. Then add about a quarter of a cup of water and cook for 1 more minute.
- Add the Berbere and continue cooking for 2 min.
- Add another quarter of a cup of water along with the garlic, black pepper, and Korerima, and continue cooking for 2 more min.
- Slowly add the small pieces of lamb meat so that they are well mixed in the sauce. Then close the lid and continue cooking for 15 min. stirring every 2 min.
- Add another quarter of a cup of water, then reduce the heat to medium heat and continue cooking for about 5 min.
- Lower the heat again, add some salt, and continue cooking for 5 min.
- Finally, remove it from heat and let it cool for 15 min. and serve along with Injera.
Equipment Recommendations to Make YeBeg Wot
Affiliate Disclaimer: As an affiliate, we get commissions for purchases made through links on this website from Amazon and other third parties.