Home Recipes Restaurants Food Guides Injera Makers Buyer Guides Kitchen Essentials
Alicha Shiro Wot (Ethiopian Mild Chickpea Stew) Recipe
Alicha Shiro Wot is a mild variation of the Shiro Wot (Ethiopian Chickpea Stew) dish; the main differenc being the turmeric spice which gives this dish a milder taste and light-yeloowish look. Here is a simple recipe that you can follow to easily make Alicha Shiro Wot at home.
Ingredients Required to Make Alicha Shiro Wot
- 1 cup of Shiro Mitten (spiced chickpeas flour)
- 5 cups of water
- 1 finely chopped onion
- 1 tsp of garlic powder
- 0.5 tsp of turmeric powder
- 4 tbsp of olive oil
- 1 tbsp of ginger juice
- 0.5 tsp of powdered Korerima (Ethiopian Cardamom)
- 2 seeded and sliced hot green peppers (jalapenos)
How to Make Alicha Shiro Wot (Step-by-Step Tutorial)
- Start by cooking the onion and garlic powder in oil for 5 – 10 min., gradually pouring 0.5 cup of water.
- Then pour in a cup of water along with the turmeric powder and ginger juice, and let the mix boil for about 5 min.
- Next, add the Shiro Mitten to the boiling mixture and continue stirring until until the sauce is smooth and mixed thoroghly.
- Continuously stir the sauce to remove any lumps and pour in the rest of the water. Then lower the heat and continue cooking for about 20 min.
- Then add the salt, black pepper, and powdered Korerima, and let it all cook for around 10 min., until it simmers.
- Finally, remove from heat and serve your Alicha Shiro Wot, along with Injera.
Equipment Recommendations to Make Alicha Shiro Wot
Affiliate Disclaimer: As an affiliate, we get commissions for purchases made through links on this website from Amazon and other third parties.