While dishes made from fish are not as common as those made with beef in Ethiopia, there are actually a lot of fish dishes in Ethiopia that mostly come from communities that live near and around the several lakes and rivers found in Ethiopia.
In fact, in recent years, Ethiopia is seeing a growing a significant rise in the consumption of fish, especially in the capital, Addis Ababa.
One of the most popular fish dishes in Ethiopia is Asa Kitfo. It is a delicious appetizer dish made from fresh fish mixed with spices that give it a uniquely Ethiopian taste.
Here is a simple recipe that you can follow to make Asa Kitfo at home.
Ingredients Required to Make Asa Kitfo
- 2 pounds of fish (halibut, salmon, or tuna)
- 2.5 tbsp of olive oil
- 1 tbsp of finely chopped red onions
- 1 tbsp of Awaze (Ethiopian Spicy Dipping Sauce)
- 1 lemon juice
- 1 thinly sliced hot green pepper (jalapeno)
- 0.25 tsp of black pepper
How to Make Asa Kitfo (Step-by-Step Tutorial)
- First, use a large bowl and add in the thinly sliced green pepper, finely chopped the onion, and lemon juice.
- Then add the olive oil, Awaze, salt, and black pepper. Mix them all together.
- Now, carefully remove the fish’s skin and pat it dry with a clean cloth.
- Use a sharp knife and cut the fish into very little cubes.
- Then add the chopped fish into the previous mixture and mix thoroughly, and add sliced green peppers as a garnish.
- Place the Asa Kitfo into the fridge for some time, then serve cold.
Equipment Recommendations to Make Asa Kitfo
Affiliate Disclaimer: As an affiliate, we get commissions for purchases made through links on this website from Amazon and other third parties.