Home Recipes Restaurants Food Guides Injera Makers Buyer Guides Kitchen Essentials
Duba Wot (Ethiopian Pumpkin Stew) Recipe
Duba Wot is a traditional Ethiopian stew made with pumpkin, spices, and other flavorings. It is one of the most popular dishes in Ethiopia and it has been enjoyed for generations and can usually be found on the menu of most Ethiopian restaurants.
This flavorful stew is not only delicious but also easy to make at home. With its unique combination of spices, Duba Wot provides an array of different flavors that come together to create an experience like no other.
Moreover, Duba Wot also has considerable health benefits. This delightful comfort food is not only delicious but also nutritious – it’s packed with vitamins and minerals like Vitamin A and potassium.
Ingredients Required to Make Duba Wot
- 1 lb. Duba
- ½ cup onions, chopped
- ½ tbsp berbere
- ⅔ tbsp dried basil
- ⅔ tbsp cumin powder
- 2 tbsp olive oil
How to Make Duba Wot (Step-by-Step Tutorial)
- Start by removing the skin of the Duba using a pairing knife of a potato peeler.
- Cut the Duba in half and scoop the seeds out. Then cut each of the two halves of Duba into smaller bite-sized pieces.
- Add the chopped onions with olive oil into a pot and cook them until the onion starts to sizzle. Then add a bit of water until the onion starts glistening.
- Add a bit more water along with berbere and let it cook some more for up to 2 min.
- Add the bite-sized Duba pieces to the pot and stir thoroughly and make sure the Duba pieces are all covered with the onion-spice mix.
- Add more water until 3-quarters of the Duba pieces are covered with it and continue stirring thoroughly.
- When the Duba gets tender, remove it from heat onto a bowl.
- Finally, add the basil and cumin and stir some more to get the taste of the spices into the Duba.
Equipment Recommendations to Make Duba Wot
Affiliate Disclaimer: As an affiliate, we get commissions for purchases made through links on this website from Amazon and other third parties.