Kikil is a mild stew made with lamb and potatoes. In some ways, it is similar to Alicha Wot but Kikil is more of a thinner watery stew. Learn how to make Kikil by using this simple beginner-friendly recipe.
Ingredients Required to Make Kikil
- ¼ pot lamb meat, without the bones being removed
- ¼ pot potatoes, largely chopped
- 1 pot full of cold water
- 3 cups onions, sliced
- ½ cup green chili pepper, chopped
- ½ cup cloves of garlic
- 2 tbsp turmeric
- 1 tbsp salt
- 2 tbsp oil
- 2 tbsp niter kibbeh (Ethiopian clarified butter)
How to Make Kikil (Step-by-Step Tutorial)
- Start by filling a large-sized pot with cold water and placing it on your stove. Then add the lamb meat with bones along with the onions, garlic, turmeric, oil, and salt.
- Stir the mix gently and bring the pot to a boil for about 1 hr. and 30 min.
- Check and see if lamb meat has been cooked well enough and how tender it has gotten. Then add the potatoes and continue cooking for 10 – 20 minutes until the meat is cooked to your satisfaction.
- Lastly, add the green chili peppers and niter kibbeh and continue cooking for about 5 more minutes until the potatoes are also cooked to your satisfaction. You can now serve your Kikil hot in large-enough bowls.
Equipment Recommendations to Make Kikil
Affiliate Disclaimer: As an affiliate, we get commissions for purchases made through links on this website from Amazon and other third parties.