Quanta Firfir is a traditional Ethiopian dish that has been enjoyed for centuries. This hearty, spicy meal is made of injera, a spongy flatbread, and berbere, a fragrant mix of herbs and spices, as well as Quanta, or dried beef. It can be served as a main course or side dish, and its vibrant colors make it an eye-catching addition to any dinner table.
Ingredients Required to Make Quanta Firfir
- 2 injera
- 14 oz dried beef
- ⅓ cup of vegetable oil
- 4 ripe chopped tomatoes
- 2 chopped red onions
- 1 tbsp minced garlic
- ½ cup niter kibbeh
- 2 tbsp berbere
- 2 tsp salt
- 3 cups water
How to Make Quanta Firfir (Step-by-Step Tutorial)
- Begin by cooking the onions in a large-sized saucepan at medium-high heat; until the onions start to turn brown for approx. 5 min – with the lid covered.
- Then add the garlic and vegetable oil and continue cooking for around 5 more minutes until you get a fragrant smell.
- Add the tomatoes while stirring and continue cooking for around 6 minutes until they get soft.
- Next, add half a cup of water and the dried beef, along with some berbere. Then lower the heat to medium and continue cooking for around 10 minutes.
- After that, continue to cook adding a third of a cup every now and then for around 20 minutes until the sauce thickens, and the dried beef softens.
- Then add the nitter kibbeh and some salt and stir the mix.
- Finally, take 1 injera and shred it into smaller pieces and add them to the sauce. Then mix the Quantata Firfir thoroughly but very gently until the injera soaks in the sauce properly.
Equipment Recommendations to Make Quanta Firfir
Affiliate Disclaimer: As an affiliate, we get commissions for purchases made through links on this website from Amazon and other third parties.