This is a unique Ethiopian dish. YeShinbra Asa Wot, which directly translates to “chickpeas fish” in Amharic, doesn’t actually contain any fish at all. The name only refers to the texture of the dish that resembles fish. It is customarily prepared during special event as well as the fasting seasons.
Ingredients Required to Make YeShinbera Asa Wot
- 4 cups of Shiro Mitten (spiced chickpeas flour)
- 4 cups of thinly chopped red onions
- 1.5 cups of Berbere
- 5 cups of water
- 2 cups of vegetable oil
- 1 tsp of garlic powder
- 1 tsp of Korerima (Ethiopian Cardamom)
- 0.25 tsp of black cumin
- 0.5 tsp of ginger juice
- 0.25 tsp of black pepper
- 0.25 tsp of Salt
How to Make YeShinbera Asa Wot (Step-by-Step Tutorial)
- Start by mixing the Shiro Mitten in a mid-sized bowl along with half a cup of oil and salt. Then mix gently while gradually adding water, until the resulting dough becomes smooth.
- Using cookie scooping tools, evenly distribute the dough on a baking sheet, then mold it into fish or other desired shapes. Then bake for 25 min. until the Shiro Mitten cookies turn golden brown.
- While waiting, cook the onions in a mid-sized pot with a cup of water, added 2 tablespoons at a time, until the onions get soft and golden-brown in color.
- Next, add a cup of water, Berbere, ginger, ginger, and black cumin. Stir thoroughly, then add 1.5 cups of oil and continue cooking and stirring for 15 min. Then add 3 more cups of water and continue cooking and stirring for another 15 min.
- Now, add the Shiro Mitten cookies you backed earlier to the boiling sauce and continue cooking and stirring for an additional 20 min. until it simmers.
- Add the black pepper, Korerima, and salt; stir them in gently, and remove from heat.
- Let your YeShinbera Asa Wot cool for a bit, then serve with Injera.
Equipment Recommendations to Make YeShinbera Asa Wot
Affiliate Disclaimer: As an affiliate, we get commissions for purchases made through links on this website from Amazon and other third parties.