Yesuf Fitfit is a simple Ethiopian dish made of injera, a spongy flatbread, and Fitfit, which consists of small pieces of injera soaked in seasoned and spiced clarified butter or olive oil. Yesuf Fitfit is served as an accompaniment to the main course at Ethiopian meals and is often used as an after-dinner snack or breakfast item. Yesuf Fitfit is vegan/ vegetarian friendly.
Ingredients Required to Make YeSuf Fitfit
- 1 injera
- 2 cups of suf (sunflower seeds)
- 2 finely chopped tomatoes
- 1 finely chopped green hot pepper
- 2 finely chopped green onions
- ¼ tsp garlic powder
- ¼ tsp ginger powder
- ½ tsp black pepper
- ½ tsp minced fresh basil
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- ½ tsp salt
- 6 cups of water
How to Make YeSuf Fitfit (Step-by-Step Tutorial)
- Start by washing the suf (sunflower seeds) using cold water. Then add them to a cooking pot and boil for up to 15 min. at which time they should get soft.
- Drain the suf and add them into a blender, pour 3 cups of cold water, and blend them until they are crushed.
- Stain the blend into a clean container, keep it in the fridge covered, and let it cool. You can discard the sediments from the strained suf.
- Mix all of the vegetables along with the lemon juice and spices, and mix thoroughly.
- Next, mix with the strained suf, and put the blend back into the fridge to cool some more.
- Tear the injera into pieces and mix with the vegetable-suf blend. Lightly mix them all together so that the pieces of injera are uniformly soaked and moist.
- Keep the Yesuf Fitfit in the fridge and serve cold when ready.
Equipment Recommendations to Make YeSuf Fitfit
Affiliate Disclaimer: As an affiliate, we get commissions for purchases made through links on this website from Amazon and other third parties.